The major in retail and consumer sciences provides you with a thorough knowledge of the retailing industry, complemented by business principles and theories related to providing goods and services to consumers.
Through a combination of classroom instruction and field-based experience, students prepare for entry-level positions in diverse occupations and for advanced education. You could begin your career as a retail manager, assistant buyer, planner, allocator, product development manager, or sales representative for a manufacturer or service company. Your options are plentiful with good starting salaries and rapid advancement.
The Retail and Consumer Science program is one of the largest of its type in the Southeast. Retailing is one of the fastest-growing segments of our economy, and opportunities for employment will continue to be excellent through the twenty-first century.
Why should you join our major in Retail and Consumer Sciences?
To view the classes offered in the Retail and Consumer Science, please visit this link: RCS Course Descriptions
Another opportunity for study abroad is an exchange program with Stenden University in Leeuwarden, The Netherlands. Students can fulfill degree requirements during a spring semester through the Study Abroad Office for a tuition cost equivalent to attending UT.
Minor in Retail and Consumer Sciences
The minor consists of 15 hours.
Retail and Consumer Sciences (6 hours credit)
- 210 Introduction to Retail Management
- 341 Family and Consumer Behavior
Select three of the following:
Retail and Consumer Sciences (9 hours credit)
- 310 Retail Buying
- 346 Retail Operations Management
- 376 Strategies for Growth
- 412 Direct Retail Methods
- 415 Retail Promotion
- 421 International Retail Environments
- 484 International Retail Industry Study Tour
Retail Technology Minor
The minor consists of 16 credits hours.
- RCS 210 Introduction to Retail Management
- RCS 310 Retail Buying and Merchandising
- RCS 376 Customer Relationship Management and Retail Analytics
- RCS 425 Retail Category Management
- RCS 435 Retail Planning and Allocation